FYI: Axolotls have to be reported in (Lower)Austria

qannp

Reaction score
Country
Austria
Display Name
Doris
Hi,

since I missed important news (like the existance of Bd) in the past years I was wondering if the law according to axolotls has changed. So I asked the District Comission if I had to register my lotls.

I was really surprised when I got the answer: Yes, they have to be registered! :eek: The e-mail said:

"Axolotl sind Wildtiere mit besonderen Anforderungen an die Haltung, sie stellen besondere Ansprüche an Haltung und Pflege und dürfen gemäß § 25 TSchG nur nach vorheriger Anzeige - unbeschadet anderer Pflichten nach dem Bundesgesetz über die Überwachung des Handels mit Exemplaren wildlebender Tier- und Pflanzenarten (Artenhandelsgesetz - Arthg) - BGBl. I Nr. 33/1998 sowie der Verordnung über die Kennzeichnung von Arten (Arten-Kennzeichnungsverordnung) - BGBl. II Nr. 321/1998 - an die Behörde gehalten werden."

Rough translation: "Axolotl are wild animals with special requirements, they make special demands on keeping and maintenance and have to be reported (…) to the government agency according to federal law (…)."

They also sent me a registration form and asked to return it signed.

Am I the only austrian keeper who didn't know this? :confused:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back