Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newts and shrimps.

jbaker8484

Reaction score
I have some eastern newts. I also have some shrimp that are way too big for the newts to eat.
My question is, will the shrimps stress out the newts at all (considering they are too big to be food)? Discourage them from breeding?

I mostly put the shrimp in there to clean up the uneaten bloodworms that I get every time I feed the newts.

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Ive used ghost shrimp with some of my newts and they do fine, but they eat them occasionally when they can catch them.
Just thought I should mention, just incase, that newts shouldn't be fed frozen bloodworms as a staple, earthworm or a high quality pellet is the way to go, but if you drop them into the tank rather than hand feed, the shrimp tend to take some and run.

Autumncrossing

Reaction score
Yes the ghost shrimp shouldn't disturb the newts although the above post is correct I've had shrimp take food right out of my newts mouth lol. they can be a hassle sometimes. Ghost shrimp are a great indicator of water quality however so that is a plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lertsch

Reaction score
I have red cherry shrimp with my notos. Some of them like to try to hunt the shrimp and some just ignore them. Occasionally I'll see shrimp trying to "clean" newts, and they usually just shake them off once they lose their patience after about 10 seconds.

One thing I have wondered about is whether shrimp would disturb or damage newt eggs?

jbaker8484

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. and thanks for the tip on food. I normally feed them bloodworms. I also feed them brine shrimp occasionally. I'll have to diversify their food up a bit. Is there a brand of pellet you would recommend?

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Any carnivore, salmon, or newt/salamander pellet should work, chopped worm should be fed as the staple if they refuse pellets as frozen foods like bloodworms are nutritionally incomplete

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!