Urgent urgent urgent!!!!!!!!!

SlimyFishPuppys

Reaction score
Country
England
My Axy has been suffering with some kind of gill fungus the last few days.
I took him out of the fridge just now to check on him and he was dead. I left him out while I grieved and tried to amp myself up to dispose of the body, but when I drained the water, he waved and me, so I added some more water and he flipped onto his belly and now he's moving. WHAT DO I DO!!!!! Do I just put him back in the fridge and hope he makes it, or do I stay up with him, what the hell!

Did he seem improved?

also check the "care articles" in my sig. There are sections on illness and disease. Maybe that will help. If you really can't take him to the vet, I"d put him back in the fridge for a bit.

I've put him back in the fridge for now, but his gills are still a little bloody, and just now he spat out a small amount of blood. I really don't know what to do.

I hope he pulls thru. I stayed up all night with my first pair until the bitter end.... I hope your situation is better than mine. Did u do the salt bath before he got as bad as he is? He may seem slow because of the cold temp.

I have a different thread going, before he flipped upside down, and I was advised to not do a salt bath. I don't want to do one now, as he has bloody wounds on his gills. I changed his water again before I put him back in the fridge, but spitting up blood? I'm losing hope that he'll survive the night. He's just got enough water so he doesn't float, but I had to prod him back to his belly before fridging him, as he's moved to his side.

:( so sorry. It is indeed not appropriate to give a salt bath. I wish someone more experienced would give you some advice on here.

Sadly it sounds as tho he could be the victim of a bacterial infection......the blood is not a good sign. Can you get to a vet ?

It sounds like vet treatment may be needed in this case. Hopefully he pulls through.

Morning. I am very tired, so I will keep this short.
He's alive. We sat up together and chatted through the night. I've phoned my vet, and although she is fully booked today, she is going to get back to me over the phone. She'd like to see him, but she has no space, so hopefully tomorrow.
I will be taking him to work with me. I have a fridge, so he will be fine in there. I would usually not move him, but I keep having to prod him back onto his front. Plus, I don't want to come home to a dead Axy. This way I can keep an eye on him the whole time, as the fridge has a glass front.
The other Axy's are still great, I even came downstairs to a Axy-totem, which has made my day. The water in the tank is still alright, although a little cloudy this morning.
Cheers guys. Sorry for the panicking last night.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back