Pets for this terrarium?

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok I posted a similar topic a while back ... but this time I have a different terrarium and different criteria.

I have a 18x18x12 terrarium that as soon as I upgrade my gecko will be empty.

I would like a pet that will be ok in a terrarium this size its entire life.

I have a hygrometer/thermometer, spray bottle, Under tank heater, and ceramic heat emitter on hand to suit different environmental needs.

What I am looking for in a pet is simple, I want something I can view and is simple to care for. I don't need a hands on pet , I just don't want to be looking at a empty terrarium either though. Even if I only see the animal when I feed it ( I feed with tongs) That does not really bother me.

Is it a tall or long terrarium? Height could disprove my ideas of animals

I used the standard length x width x height format

I did look at tree frogs

Sorry I forgot to add ... No tarantulas, No snakes and if its a frog, I would prefer not to go over 4-5 inches :)

What about ambystoma opacum, maculatum, and tigrinum? Easy to care for, easy to feed, and you won't have to worry about breeding

I tried Mole salamanders, I never saw them. I really want a pet I can at least see.

But you said that you wouldn't mind if you could not see it except for feeding, and when tiger salamanders get to know you, they come out to beg for food

My didn't even come out to feed :( I don't want to go through that again :(

Cyanurus are generally aquatic though.

From what I've been told, Salamandra are fairly active and terrestrial.
Hypselotriton cyanurus are basically fully aquatic as are most other Cynops/Hypselotriton.
And mole salamanders you generally won't see as they are mole salamanders, unless you have mine which never burrows anymore and just begs for food all day.
Some frogs might be nice since your temperatures are somewhat warmer.

Good news !!! She is trading me a 18x18x24 instead SO that opens up arboreal options :D

American gray/green tree frogs? Easy to care for, and adorable. BTW I mean Hyla Cinera and Hyla Versicolor/Chrysoscelis

Anything native to my state is illegal ... This includes those two species unfortunately

I am not sure. I really would lean towards reptiles honestly. They are a bit easier for me to handle.

I really like whites tree frogs But I really dont touch amphibians I have an aversion to the feeling of them. I know they dont like being touched but they will need to be occasionally.

Anoles? What about brown and green anoles? Green anoles are probably native to your start, so I think brown anoles are a good choice

they need UVB :(

I am really thinking of playing it safe and just getting a crested gecko.

Again, what about chubby and tomato frogs? They are like pac-man frogs, except they don't get very large

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back