Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

DIY Axolotl Decor?

Alice0099

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew of any safe,inexpensive,Axolotl decor? I really need some more hides and wanted to get a little creative. Thank you for your responses.

MydogWily821

Reaction score
Some quick, easy, and inexpensive decor is a large PVC pipe for a house or a plastic container works as well. You can use smooth drift wood or rocks that are sanitized, but make sure that the rocks are bigger than the axolotl's body.

good luck-Jenna

Alice0099

Reaction score
Legos seem interesting, I was thinking of getting polished pebbles and gluing them to a plastic container with aquarium sealant for a hide, but I have three tanks, (two 10g one 20g) and I plan on buying more so I need a lot of ideas, and thank you to everyone who has commented so far I really appreciate the help :):)

ccaro

Reaction score
I love the uniqueness behind DIY hides and although I have not got around to doing one for myself I have a few links to some good ideas

This website has a bunch of simple and creative ideas for hides that seem easy enough

http://petdiys.com/diy-stone-axolotl-hide/

If you really want to get into the diy spirit you can check out what this person did

My wifes 6x2x2 Axolotl aquascape step by step

If you are lucky enough to have access to a kiln then your imagination is the limit on any hide you would want to create. As long as there are no sharp edges, its big enough for the axolotl, it has been fired to the optimum Temperature and sealed with a waterproof glaze or nontoxic finish it should be suitable for your axolotl/s. Keep in mind I have also read that even kiln fired clay can wear away in water. While I am not entirely sure on the validity of that statement I believe it would be a good idea to check that out thoroughly before throwing homemade pottery into your tank.

Here is one idea that I personally liked
26670d1356781524-idea-some-hides-axolotls-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356781521.080004.jpg

Also, if price is the main concern ebay and amazon.com have a few fake log like hides that are big enough for an axie and look nice in a tank for pretty cheap. I would check it out!

You could also always google search diy axolotl hides and check out pinterest ideas. (assuming you have not yet)

Although these ideas may not be the quickest they are decently cheap and a good investment for a beautiful unique hide.

Hope this helps x

axiebeans

Reaction score
My axies will not use a hide that is not open from the bottom to the substrate. They love the sand and wont go into hides unless I put sand in ones that aren't open. Weird... haha

Atrus808

Reaction score
I use Terracotta Pots upside down and cut a door way on one side

have you ever noticed any terracotta pots with black coring when cracked/cut? is it still safe? my understanding is that it's due to the way the pot was baked but I'm hesitant to place it in my tank....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ba36b34f6bd73ee03deedff67850a583.jpg

cbee44

Reaction score
I bought a PVC pipe and returned sample paints (cheap) from the Lowe's hardware store in my area. I sanded the PVC pipe, wiped clean, and mixed some of the paints to giving more colors to work with used a sea sponge on the pipe. PainteMOd inside also. Gave it plenty of time to dry and cure before using it in the tank. Been almost a year and still looks great.

Odd

Reaction score
have you ever noticed any terracotta pots with black coring when cracked/cut? is it still safe? my understanding is that it's due to the way the pot was baked but I'm hesitant to place it in my tank....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ba36b34f6bd73ee03deedff67850a583.jpg
It's safe, it's the exact same stuff that the outside is it just couldn't oxidize and turn red since it was on the inside of the pot during the firing

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

tinasvfx

Reaction score
I just upgraded my axie to a 40g. I have terracotta pots and driftwood and a giant leaf from the dollar store.

My driftwood wouldn't sink, so filled some sand in an old nylon and weighed it down. The long one on top I tied to some suction cups and stuck them on the back. Works perfectly!

31189927_10157460342295200_3787456789025390592_n.jpg

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I just upgraded my axie to a 40g. I have terracotta pots and driftwood and a giant leaf from the dollar store.

My driftwood wouldn't sink, so filled some sand in an old nylon and weighed it down. The long one on top I tied to some suction cups and stuck them on the back. Works perfectly!

View attachment 53001

Love the leaf! Watch the driftwood, when they are darker they can leech into the water and cause it to go murky. Took me ages to figure out why my tank always looked dirty haha

tinasvfx

Reaction score
Love the leaf! Watch the driftwood, when they are darker they can leech into the water and cause it to go murky. Took me ages to figure out why my tank always looked dirty haha

I thought the leaf would make a great level/rest for her, kind of like a giant Betta leaf. ;) Its fake, so I just bent the stem down to a level I liked and let the sand weigh it down itself.

The dark piece was from her previous tank. It's been fine for ages, it's the new stuff im keeping an eye on, but I did soak it for a very long time before I put it in the tank. :)

But yes, definitely soak/clean driftwood before you put it in!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1