AquaClear 30 - Too much current?

DanTheTingler

Reaction score
Country
United States
I currently have a 10 gallon tank with an AquaClear 30 (HOB Filter). However, it seems to be generating a good amount of current, and I was wondering if that would be too stressful for my CFB newt, as it seems to dislike going into the water. Should I switch over to a sponge filter?

My water parameters are all fine (0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite, ~20 ppm nitrate, 68 degrees). My newt usually rests on some a large crystalwort mat I have for him for 10 minutes to half an hour at a time, then frantically swims all around the tank....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

An aquaclear 30 is way to much current for a 10 gallon newt tank. it is especially to much for a chinese fire belly newt. The hang on filter also gives more opportunity for escape routes.

You would be better off with a sponge filter.

I realize people are anxious to participate in the forum. I'm a little taken aback at some of the advice I have seen offered on the forum lately.

I would also recommend an air driven sponge filter in a tank of that size, although if there are enough live plants you could forget about a filter entirely, the plants would clean the waste up from a single firebelly.
Your water parameters are spot on at the moment, if you do replace or remove the filter altogether keep a close eye on ammonia and nitrite levels for a couple of weeks after until everything settles down.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back