Help! Red Toes on Habib!

littlelotllady

Reaction score
Country
United States
I need some advice! I noticed a couple weeks ago that Habib had a couple red toes on his front and back right feet. I thought that maybe he had swam past the filter intake tube or something to that effect so I put a foam filter guard on the filter and removed anything that he could have potentially stubbed his toes on. I did this right away and tried not to worry about it but they are still red! He is acting normal and eating with enthusiasm as always and eating the same amount. He can also use his toes just fine and still "grabs" things with them normally.
I test his water quality weekly and there is no ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate. His pH is at about 6.6 but is consistently there.
Does anyone had any ideas what this could possibly be? Or am I just being overly concerned (that's what I'm hoping) I've been trying to get ideas from online posts here and other places but have not found anything conclusive so I figured posting his picture here would yield the best results. Any feedback is appreciated!

Attachments

• habibtoes4.jpg
    habibtoes4.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 217
  • habibtoes2.jpg
    habibtoes2.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 178
  • habibtoes.jpg
    habibtoes.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 193
Many members here have bare bottom without issue so I doubt that not having substrate is an issue. However, what do you use to dechlorinate the water? Are you using tap water?

Hey,

What are you using to test the water? The presence of no ammonia or nitrite should indicate that either a) you are completely changing the water out or b) the tank has a healthy biological cycle.

However, with a healthy cycle you should also see the end product - nitrate. This can be removed by live plants or water changes.

Seeing no nitrate is actually not a good sign as it suggests no cycle is in place, or that you have a faulty kit... Which could mean your ammonia and nitrite are not what you think.

Thanks for the feed back! I do use dechlorinated water and the tank is fully cycled, it's been running since last August so I don't think it's a water quality issue. I may try putting sand on the bottom just in case and see if that helps any.

Oh! And I use the liquid test kits to do water testing ( I believe API makes them) I do a small siphon of the tank about once every week or so. Just 5 gallons out of 29 to keep the bottom clean of debris but I never take more the 25% of the water out. I also make sure to rinse or replace the filter pad a few days after water changing as to not displace the beneficial bacteria.
Thanks again!

I don't think the bare bottom has anything to do with it...I have four ax who are 6years old and have always been on bare bottom...and no foot problems.

I would keep a close watch incase it is an infection such as red leg developing

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back