Photo: White mass on gill?

esKaye

Reaction score
Country
Canada

So today I noticed this weird growth on one of my axis. I tried to rub it off thinking it may come out but it didn't. After handling him, I noticed my hands were a slimey sticky residue. I know they have their slime coat but it usually isn't sticky. Any recommendations?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 171
To me it looks like a ball of fungus. Can you put him in shallow water and tease it off with plastic tweezers or cotton buds. Generally healthy looking tho!.....I'd try not to touch him.The gravel substrate causes more concern......looks easily edible!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back