Another possible way to chill the water

sasymad

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hi, I was just trying to figure out a way to chill my 26 gallons tank, the chillers out there are so expensive and I can't buy one for now so I was just thinking about to make a DIY air conditioner like the one in the photo, it will be filled with ice cubes and the fan will blow refrigerated air in the tank by that tube, I was thinking to make a plexiglass lid to replace the mesh lid that I have now so the cold air will be trapped in the tank and will be in contact with the water surface...what do you think? could it be possible?

trick3.jpg

I have tried this before, but for heating. I had everything setup and ready to go, but my fan wouldn't run when it was blowing into a enclosed area. However I do think it would work ( for both heating and cooling ).
Also, if you used a Styrofoam cooler instead of a plastic tub I think it would work a bit better.

Thank you for your reply! I was thinking about to use Styrofoam instead of plastic tub so the isolation is more efficient, do you think that it will be enough to cool the entire volume of water and not only the surface?

Thank you for your reply! I was thinking about to use Styrofoam instead of plastic tub so the isolation is more efficient, do you think that it will be enough to cool the entire volume of water and not only the surface?

Well it depends on the size of the tank I suppose. But I am sure if you let it run for long enough it would cool all the water.

No one else have had some experience with this method?

Well, it ought to provide some additional cooling, but I don't know how effective it would be.

Usually, air blowing across water cools by evaporative cooling. The drier the air (for a given temperature), the more evaporation will take place, and the more the water will cool. (This is why evaporative cooling is less effective in humid climates.)

Your set-up is precooling the air. Cool air can hold less moisture than warm air, so less water will evaporate when you blow the pre-cooled air across the water. However, the air is also cooler, so it should absorb some heat from the water.

Glass doesn't transfer heat very well, but if you are at the point where every degree counts, perhaps you could try insulating the bottom and 3 sides of the tank with something like this: Shop Reflectix R21 16-in x 25-ft Unfaced Reflective Roll Insulation at Lowes.com

Thank you very much for the reply! I will try to find that roll, in the meanwhile I'm going to try that method since the cost is very low for the materials and I'll let you know, do you think that's safe to transfer my lotls in a plastic tub like the one in the photo? So I can easily transfer it from room to room searching for the lowest temp in my house

You should probably just fill a tub like that with water and move that around the house and measure the temperature, no need to stress the lotls, but yes I use a rubbermaid container like a plastic shoebox to move my axies when I need to it just has to be one that has never had soap on it or any type of cleaning thing (so preferably a new one that has never been used before)

You might also check your supply cost compared to an aquarium fan that blows directly on the water. Those are so compact (like a computer fan, and silent) and easy, and I was really impressed they can lower the water 5-10 degrees F (they conservatively estimate 4-8 degrees) and in the U.S. on Amazon they're only around $20. I bought a 2-fan "Sanatop" model for $18 to use on a little 5-gallon and was amazed how well it works, and there's a testimonial from someone using two 3-fan models to chill axolotls; she says a 20-long stays over 10 degrees F below ambient.

Thank you very much for the reply! The cost is very low since I already have a Styrofoam box, and the plexiglass lid, I just have to buy the plastic pipes (2€) and the fan (5€), if this method doesn't work I will try with the fans xD I don't know what to do, in late summer the temperature rise 'till 35°C and I' m really worried!

to save a little money could you go ahead and get the aquarium fan and just use that as a fan? please don't be offended by that I just thought if that could work the fan could pull double duty for you :)

and christineb, could you maybe post a link to your fan it sounds great! the fan I used last year kinda pooped out on me so I'm in the market for a new one or a real chiller o_O

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L54ZYAQ/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1431453004&sr=1&keywords=aquarium+fan That's the one I got, haven't had it long enough to determine durability but even if it doesn't last it's so much cheaper than a chiller I don't mind occasionally replacing it. The reviews are very mixed but the negative ones tend to be about the size. It doesn't feel that powerful but running it all day really cooled my water without much evaporation; no point in extra windpower beyond what's needed. Two people did mention issues with fans not all working on multi-fan units, so I would buy through Amazon or some else with a good return policy, just in case.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back