Harley has lost half his tail :(

axoltlmad123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay so the other day, I was getting harley out of his tank for a water change (I use a fine net ). I must have moved a bit to fast as he freaked out and his tail came off in little chunks :(

I did the water change, tested the water which the levels were high. PH was 7.4, ammonia 0.25ppm, nitrite 0.25ppm and nitrate was between 40 and 80. I did another water change the next morning as didn't want to overly stress him out, I changed 50 percent. The levels changed to ph 7.4, ammonia 0.25ppm, nitrite 0, nitrate between 20 and 40. I took his sand out in the water change.

I now am stuck on what to do. I have been advised to take him out of his tank ( he is in on his own ). Put him in a small container and do daily water changes. I have also been advised to use un dechlorinated water so the chlorine helps with any infection / fungus ( prevent ). I have Red that chlorine burns the axolotls skin and just causes discomfort and stress and makes it difficult for then to breath causing future health problems. I don't really want to take him out of his tank.

What I wanted to do was carry on with daily 50 percent water changes until I got the water levels back to normal. Keep Harley in his tank. ( now that there isn't any sand I though it would be easier to keep clean ). Any advice welcome. I have some antibiotics left from when the vet gave them to me but got told not to use them unless there was an infection. Is that right?any advice is welcome.Thank you.

Attachments

• 20150507_164951.jpg
    20150507_164951.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 250
  • 20150507_164942.jpg
    20150507_164942.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 226
Did the tail get caught in something or was it damaged before? It's not normal for it to just start coming off like that.
I think you can keep him in the tank for now, but be extra careful with the water parameters. Keep an eye on the axie to catch any possible infection early. Untreated water can be used the same way as a salt bath if there's fungus on the axie. Never keep them in untreated water (with chlorine) all the time. Chlorine can get rid of smaller fungal infections and is more gentle than salt baths.
Don't use the antibiotics unless absolutely necessary, you could end up doing more harm than good. Especially if those antibiotics weren't prescribed for him.

To be honest I don't know about the tail. It had loomed strange a day or so beforehand. The best I can describe it is it looked like it had a lump on the tip. After looking again though I presumed it was my filter flow being to fast and wasn't a lump but a curled tail. Thinking about it now though it could have been a lump. I'm panicking now. Do I need to get him to the vets what would they do? Or should I just see how he goes. I can't really afford it right now but will find some things to sell to get some money. I have started putting money away for the vets but right now only have 5 pounds. I get paid on not this Monday but next Monday. He does have a weirs lump on hid toe. The vet told me to keep an eye on it. He's had it since I got him home. That is when I noticed it. I'll get a picture one second.

This is his toe with the lump on the tip what could it be ?

Attachments

• 2015-05-09 12.45.23.jpg
    2015-05-09 12.45.23.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 186
And the tail could have got caught in the net. I bought a bigger one and I think it's a bit too big. (Gives him to much room to flap about.)

:-( How strange. I hope he gets better. I agree with what Keiko said - just keep him there and keep the water conditions good.

With respect to taking him out of the tank, an axolotl-sized container is better than a net. You can gently nudge him into the container and lift it out. Keep your motions slow and non-threatening, and he is unlikely to panic. It is much less stressful for you and him.

One of my girls lost a similar amount when being moved from one tank to another....she jumped out of the net and in trying to catch her I managed to chop off a chunk of her tail on the tank edge. I did nothing special....just kept an eye on it to watch for fungus....but no issues and it grew back fine!

Okay so I was just wondering how I would tell if it was infected I feel I need to know. It is slightly red but a lot less red than when it first happened could this be a sign of infection. When I just got pictures it looked like he had fungus, BUT..
I don't think it is fungus I think it is his luecistic side growing back. Does it look to you like it is growing back and if so is it looking okay. thank you .

Attachments

• 20150512_121339.jpg
    20150512_121339.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 20150512_121248.jpg
    20150512_121248.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 135
It doesn't appear to have fungus. It may grow back slightly different interns of colour and shape......but looks ok so far to me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back