Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New axolotl what type is he please

jikaru

Reaction score
Firstly, alot of people around our district know my daughter and I as the animal rescuers. Word has gotten out that we are looking after Axolotls. Now we have random people showing up with sick axolotls. I'm no axolotl know how.. This is the only advice I give them, "I have an axolotle bible, its called Caudata.org, go look at it. Everything you want, need or should know is in there". So all of you guys are in my bible, be good...
This brings me to Axle our new addition. He was brought to us (today) because his girlfriend doesn't like him anymore and constantly attacks him.... He's 9 years old, 12inches long and is the father of the 7 axolotls I already have.. Can you tell me what type his is.. His kids are wild brown speckled.... Also my first thought is to give him a salt bath for the wounds on his legs.. Good idea?..yes?..no?..I don't know??.... He looks like he's got a dirty face or maybe its his natural color....

Attachments

• Axle (7)ed.jpg
    Axle (7)ed.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 768
  • Axle (4)ed.jpg
    Axle (4)ed.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 529
  • Axle (3)ed.jpg
    Axle (3)ed.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 469

LSuzuki

Reaction score
He is a leucistic. The spots are normal - they are called freckles, or if there are a lot, they call them "dirty leucistics". The dark coloring on the gills is found in some leucistics, and one of the names they are known by is "blue-gilled leucistic".

Since the leucistic gene is recessive, it is not unusual for him to not have any leucistic offspring, since his girlfriend would have to have that recessive also for their to be leucy offspring. brownish-spotted with shiny spots (iridophores) is the "default" color, and is called "wild type".

Don't use the salt bath unless there is fungus. Salt in a wound - Ouch! Just keep him in excellent water conditions and he will probably recover on his own.

Skudo09

Reaction score
Leucistic with beautiful freckles :)

I would only give salt baths as a treatment for fungus. As Laura said, salt in a wound hurts. It is also irritating to skin. As Laura said, cool, clean dechlorinated water will provide the best conditions for him to heal. If you did want to provide some sort of treatment though, you could opt for a black tea bath. Tea has some antibacterial and antifungal properties and helps to soothe skin so may be more suitable given there doesn't appear to be any sign of fungus present.

jikaru

Reaction score
He is a leucistic. The spots are normal - they are called freckles, or if there are a lot, they call them "dirty leucistics". n.

Hahaha...I would go with dirty leucistic. Its probably why his girlfriend beat him up.. But thank you for your input. That info is really good to know.

jikaru

Reaction score
Leucistic with beautiful freckles :)

I would only give salt baths as a treatment for fungus. As Laura said, salt in a wound hurts. It is also irritating to skin. As Laura said, cool, clean dechlorinated water will provide the best conditions for him to heal. If you did want to provide some sort of treatment though, you could opt for a black tea bath. Tea has some antibacterial and antifungal properties and helps to soothe skin so may be more suitable given there doesn't appear to be any sign of fungus present.

Dah I should know that salt in wounds is a bad experience. Thank you for bringing me back to earth. I was just reading about the tea baths yesterday when trying to find treatment for Ali. I think I'll try it.. Thank you and your signature is so true..

axiebeans

Reaction score
my axie has dark gills aswell :) I love them. She also has freckles :p

Attachments

• Lilly1.jpg
    Lilly1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 5,270
  • Lilly2.jpg
    Lilly2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 2,679
Last edited:

jikaru

Reaction score
What a beautiful girl. Her freckles are really cute. My Axle just looks like he's got a dirty face..haha
I think Axle is missing his girlfriend, he won't eat, Only when I put my finger near his head he bite's me...hmmm...

Sweetie

Reaction score
He looks very healthy so don't worry if it takes him a few days to settle in and start eating. Adult axies can go quite a while without a meal.
Meanwhile, the other advice you have received is all excellent. My only additional advice would be to research Indian almond leaves, which can also be an excellent treatment for soothing and healing the skin and also act as a mild antibacterial and antifungal agent.
And I totally sympathise with your rescue role - at age 57, I've finally had to beg anyone who cares about me NOT to tell me about any more animals needing rescue. I can't say no, so I've spent my whole life living in a menagerie of adopted needy pets. I still do. I'm just letting it shrink now by natural attrition! And hoping I outlive my remaining 'children'. My worldly resources, such as they are, are left to caring for any that survive me. Keep up the good work. Someone has to look after the animal innocents and victims of this world.

jikaru

Reaction score
Thank you sweetie its good to hear from someone after my own heart. Rescuing animals is stressful but the rewards of saving their lives far out weighs the stress. I remember reading somewhere about almond leaves I think I will follow it up. Than you sweetie

mirimurray

Reaction score
A very cute dirty leucistic, as everyone else has been saying! Thanks for taking care of him and I hope he heals up quickly!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1