Broken/dislocated leg

tammyaxie

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think I just broke my axie's leg. I was giving it a salt bath to remove a patch of white on its gill and after I put it back in the tank I noticed it wasn't putting weight on it. The joint is now swollen and red. What should I do???
786ba85e9a136387e6c747ae3165798a.jpg
eb6ee88b00fa5ed1f1bd49928d39da04.jpg
21cf95a21d4ec82534c0f96aef7c16a0.jpg
c0feb56fa485db596e71416d0718966a.jpg
5c04d56729554cafba8780a3c4fa5027.jpg

Are you aware of actual trauma, or could it just be reaction to the salt? They are still very young so perhaps didn't cope with salt? Just a thought.

aww thats sad, poor thing...
I watched one of mine have her leg grabbed by her tank mate who wouldn't let go. Before I could get to the tank she shook herself free but her leg was just hanging there. I immediately put her in the iso tank with water just below 15 degree's C. The next day there was little movement as she tried to use it.. The second day it was back to normal.... big relief... I really hope yours comes right. Best of luck to you little one...

It was squirming too much in my hand. I don't think it is broken because it moves the foot appropriately. It is dislocated at the hip. They were both just about to be gifts for my cousin too. I ordered new axies for her but she wants bigger ones. I was gonna keep the new ones and she was going to rename Mocha and Chai to her liking. Mocha is just as active and eating fine. Water is superb.

She doesn't want to leave her mummy.. :)

I know. He/she'll only be two miles away

I might keep them all. :eek: I don't want to give them up but I already ordered 2 more and don't have the space. Maybe I can convince her to take the newborns.

Yeah give her the new ones because your babies will fret and won't eat and so will you... I haven't been involved with Lotls that long but I would be hard pressed to give any one of them away... That person would have prove to me they can care for them properly.....

I already gave her the new ones:p not letting go

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back