Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Blue-Tailed Newt Constant Digestive Bloating

chezr

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have four Cynops cyanurus and all have been doing well for a few months now. One seems to have a strange bloat that lasts up to four days after every meal. His main diet is red wigglers but blood worms and shrimp (shrimp is more likely, but could also have been a small fish) induce the bloat as well. This has persisted ever since he morphed.

I'm not sure if it's really a health problem, but it's disruptive to his life as he spends almost every day floating or trying to dive down into the water to grab something that will keep him under. When he's not bloated, he's about 2/3 the size of the others.

Is this common for the species?

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have four Cynops cyanurus and all have been doing well for a few months now. One seems to have a strange bloat that lasts up to four days after every meal. His main diet is red wigglers but blood worms and shrimp (shrimp is more likely, but could also have been a small fish) induce the bloat as well. This has persisted ever since he morphed.

I'm not sure if it's really a health problem, but it's disruptive to his life as he spends almost every day floating or trying to dive down into the water to grab something that will keep him under. When he's not bloated, he's about 2/3 the size of the others.

Is this common for the species?

What is the water temperature?

chezr

Reaction score
The temperature approaches 80f now that it's summer, but the problem also existed in the winter with a temperature down to 60f.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1