Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Malignant melanoma (cancer) in axolotls reference picture

Raging axolotl

Reaction score
I had an axolotl diagnosed with malignant melanoma (cancer) by a vet who did a cytology test and another test on the growth. I wanted to post reference photos for axolotl owners. I am going to try surgery ( the vet of course) but this is too valuable off a resource to keep to myself. The first picture was taken in March and the second in May. I'm bring him to surgery on 5/20 lets hope it helps!

image_zps3go7jfi6.jpg

image_zpskiuvb4n4.jpg

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Thank you for posting - this is a great reference for the future.

Best of luck. I hope he pulls through! :happy:

AG9

Reaction score
Best of luck to both of you! Do let us know how he does!:eek:

Raging axolotl

Reaction score
Update:he had a successful surgery, but 3 hours later the anesthesia hit him hard. Here's a picture of them with a Doppler heart moniter, oxygen and some wraps to help with moisture. They did record the surgery for me so I will post it once they send it.

503C4126-614B-4B31-B49B-E07284A6AF09_zpsmoauaptv.jpg

Danilugosi

Reaction score
The things we do for our babies! I hope all is well. Id really like to see the video as I believe it would be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raging axolotl

Reaction score
Sadly he did not make it. I was dumb and didn't ask for the toxicology or pathology reports to be done to know for certain what the cause of death was. I'm sorry I lost this valuable data.... I will post the surgery as soon as I get the video sent to me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!