New tanks

Autumncrossing

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone!
I don't know too much about aquatic plants, does anyone have some suggestions for some good floating surface plants that the newts can rest on? I just finished setting up two 20 gallon tanks for my morphing newts I'd like some suggestions for improvement as well !
I'm using fluval internal submerged filters I was able to crank the current way down on them but I still worry about it being too much for the newts, any suggestions on how to create some water dispersal? Maybe a big rock or something?
Thanks!!

[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 202
Looks good :) I would recommend elodea. It can be planted or floating, and when you use a large clump of it and let it float it creates a good resting area. As for dispersing the water flow, you could concentrate plants in that area, put a aquarium sponge over the output, or put a rock there as you say. Can you add a spray bar to the filter? Then you could just point it at the glass, that will help keep the flow down too.

Thanks Seth you always have great answers! Does elodea block out a lot of light? That's a good idea about the aquarium sponge I think I'll give that a try if I can't get a spray bar to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with seth about the elodea, or any other pondweed type plants, hornwort will also work well. Pondweeds are not exclusively floating plants, so they can't grow the carpet type leaves that cover the surface and block out light like many true floaters will.
For diffusing the filter output you need to fit a spraybar and push it into a long piece of filter sponge so all the holes are covered. That's it, job done, no visible water movement even right next to the sponge.
It sounds a bit ugly I know, but if you fit it just below the surface it and cover it with Java moss or similar it makes a really nice island that takes up very little water volume.
Hope this helps:)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back