Will sudden change in food be a risk?

AuSu

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Display Name
Auli
I just received two hypselotriton orientalis males today. They're over ten years old and have been eating frozen bloodworms probably their entire life, at least with their previous owner (I don't know if she had them these ten years altogether or were they rehoused even earlier). Another one is crippled in all four legs, for me it seems like a born anomaly but I've sent a message to know for sure. Others, they look good old guys :)

My guestion is, will I harm them if I suddenly change the bloodworm diet to earth crawlers mainly? I had to try directly, and after little wondering they both attacked a worm and started to fight with them as if they've done it every day :) But can it be so different that their organs get stressed and they might get sick from the change???

Earth crawlers (earthworms?) should be a better diet than frozen bloodworms. I would just feed them lightly for the first few weeks to let their digestive system adjust. An old salamander like that should be fed lightly anyhow.

Thanks for the reply! I'll do so. Lol, I mixed night crawlers and earth worms :)

Its possibly the lack of calcium in their all bloodworm diet that's caused the leg problems. Changing their diet to earthworms/nightcrawlers will harden their skeletons and prevent further problems, but I don't know if it will reverse the paralysis of the one that's worst affected.

Ok, it's interesting to see if some changes occur in the long run.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back