Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

CFBN Larvae Questions

suirenfairy180

Reaction score
Is it normal for the larvae to change color (turning paler)? They hatched last month and I started out feeding them microworms > BBS (didn't last long since I have trouble hatching them) > live blackworms & I've started giving the bigger larvae frozen bloodworms

Also, any advice on how to house them after they've reach the cannibalism stage?
I work FT so I only have time to feed them once a day, so I had to separate all the older ones into individual deli cups (brand new) but it's a pretty time consuming setup

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Like the adults larvae seem to be able to be able to change their colour to match their surroundings by becoming lighter or darker. I wouldn't worry about it at the moment if they are still healthy and feeding well.
Cynops/Hypselotriton larvae are the least aggressive/cannibalistic species I've come across so you shouldn't have any problems of that nature even with them in the same tank. If they are snapping at each other it's probably a sign that they need feeding a bit more, once a day is fine, just increase the amount slightly and keep an eye on water quality.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!