Questions about transporting a Spanish ribbed newt to a new home

jen

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
jen
We will soon be taking our Spanish ribbed newt on a fairly long journey (about 12 hours) and then settling him straight into a brand new tank. We plan to take some wet rocks as well as weeds and water from the old tank to help make the new tank newt-safe but he'll have to go straight in as soon as we arrive and all that stuff won't have time to cycle before he goes in. We'll try to keep as much water as possible in the filter and electric chiller unit. For the journey itself, we're thinking of putting him in a plastic box with holes in the top, partially filled with water and with a lot of moss and weeds in it to serve as a cushion, and carrying it in a cooler bag with some frozen freezer bricks. Does that sound okay? Any tips or advice?

I would pack him as suggested in the shipping section. There's another recent thread on moving with an axolotl where several suggestions were made about maintaining beneficial bacteria while moving. I think that can answer some of your questions the fastest.

Um, could you pls share the links to those as I am not sure where to find them. Can't locate the shipping section. Thanks.

The ribbed newt will transport fine on moist paper towels, damp sphagnum moss, or something similar. I would put them in a small container on moist substrate. I'd put them in a styrofoam box with an ice pack wrapped in newspaper. They do not need to be in water unless they are larvae. Keeping them cool is the most important priority.

The ribbed newt will transport fine on moist paper towels, damp sphagnum moss, or something similar. I would put them in a small container on moist substrate. I'd put them in a styrofoam box with an ice pack wrapped in newspaper. They do not need to be in water unless they are larvae. Keeping them cool is the most important priority.

Will he really be okay for 12+ hours on just wet paper towels when he's used to living underwater all the time? Wouldn't he be more comfortable in water with lots of weeds?

Yes, he will be fine. I had three ribbed newts shipped from coast to coast in two separate overnight shipments (one from Michael, above!) who arrived on wet paper towels and moss. I think the movement will be less obvious to him if you skip the water. I think it would slosh and stress him out more, and he'd have to keep reorienting himself to breathe. Moss or damp weeds could be comfortable for him, but I wouldn't do water. He probably doesn't have much concept of time and will just hunker down until there's something to eat or someplace to swim. :grin:

The only salamanders I don't transport on moss are ones that have gills. If you use moss just have it damp and squeeze out excess water. If the moss or paper towels are soaking wet it presents a suffocation risk if the salamander gets covered with it.

I thought putting lots of moss in the water would be a good cushion to prevent sloshing about.

Anyway, thanks for the tips, that's a great help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back