Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Fine Sand + Aquarium Maintenance Questions

Huskar

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am new with axolotl tanks and I just have few questions about maintaining the tank.

First I have a very fine sand for substrate and I vaccume the sand after feeding and whenever I see poop with turkey baster and get the rest of it with water on the water change schedule.

I've read that there could be anaerobic bacteria growing in the sand and I was wondering what it is and how I can avoid that or get rid of it? Right now my water quality shows 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and very little nitrate. I use fluval 406 and I modes the baskets which contains foams on the first basket and rest of it is filled with 3kgs of biohome ultimate.

How can I keep my tank very clean? What can I avoid? I've read some articles about mixing/ disturbing sand during water changes to avoid anaerobic bacteria and some says leave it and I have no clue anything about sand. Currently I have around 2~2.5 inch thick sand for my Acura to walk around
Thank you for taking time reading this!

keiko

Reaction score
Anaerobic bacteria live in the sand in conditions without oxygen. If the sand layer is thick like in your tank then it's easier for the bacteria to start growing and decomposing wastes in there. I only have about an inch or less of sand in my tanks and haven't had any problems. It can be avoided by stirring the sand regularly, but remember to clean up wastes first so they don't get trapped in the sand and also stir under all the decorations. The anaerobic bacteria produce gasses which can be seen as bubbles rising from the sand when you poke in it and also turn the sand black.

Huskar

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the info!

So should I take some sand out to avoid it? And the water movement is very very low, would it effect it?

keiko

Reaction score
I don't think the water movement would affect it much. Axies don't like there to be much current so better just keep it low. You can siphon out some of the sand when you do a water change or if you want to keep all of it then just remember to stir it around often.

Huskar

Reaction score
Ok so will .5~1 inch thick find sand produce gases? And it's shallow sand beds that needs to be mixed/disturbed right? And is siphoning sand good or bad? Some say I can get rid of beneficial bacteria? Thanks!

keiko

Reaction score
It's still good to stir the sand every now and then even if there's less of it, just to be sure. Or if your axies like digging as much as mine, then you mostly just need to push the sand back to where it belongs and it's basically already been stirred.
Yes, you can lose some of the beneficial bacteria if you choose to siphon some of the sand out, but since you only need to do it once, it's not that bad. If you just gently siphon over the sand later when you're cleaning the tank then you won't lose any of the bacteria as long as you don't lose any of the sand.

Huskar

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the information! I much appreciate it!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!