United States
Display Name
Liz
What type of salamanders are these they were found in a pond

Attachments

• 20150525_133338.jpg
    20150525_133338.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 175
I think northwestern salamander, hopefully SDE can get back to you because I don't live in the northwest

I don't know about what salamanders live in Oregon but my guess is Northwestern salamanders or Coastal Giant maybe?

if you have any questions about them feel free to ask i also own 3 soon to be 4 of them :D

yeah thier axolotls and thats common colors for them

But axolotls don't live in Oregon xD

They look like Ambystoma gracile ( Northwestern Salamander ). I am not sure why the one is a lighter color.

Well i live in Wisconsin whitch is farther away from mexico than oregan and they can be found in some locations here

Well i live in Wisconsin whitch is farther away from mexico than oregan and they can be found in some locations here

They probably aren't Axolotls. Most salamanders start off in a gilled larval stage, Axolotls are neotenic so they remain in a gilled larval stage their entire lives (through there are exceptions). Not every gilled salamander is an Axolotl, Axolotls are also thought by some to be extinct in the wild, and all the color morphs in captivity don't generally occur in the wild.

most likly and that could be his case all im saying is that looks like axolotls

Where do you find axolotls in the wild in Wisconsin?

i dont know the name of the river but it runs throw fire mans park you have too walk with it about 2 miles out if town my friend found it

They are probably larvae tiger salamanders, a lot of people mistake tiger larvae for axolotls

i dont know the name of the river but it runs throw fire mans park you have too walk with it about 2 miles out if town my friend found it

You should report that to local environmentalists and researchers. Axolotls in the wild in U.S. is an important find.

Again, I think that they are larvae tiger salamanders or neotenic adult ones, could you supply some pictures, specifically of the feet, I believe that tiger salamanders have differently shaped toes than axotlotls

Okay now that I have done some research I think they are northwestern, tiger or long toed salamander larvae. The pink one might be albino.

You should report that to local environmentalists and researchers. Axolotls in the wild in U.S. is an important find.

Yea. I was being a smart alec. I don't think any of them are albino. They will color up as they get bigger.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back