How many pellets should I feed my axie?

Kahili

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! My axolotl was born in July 2014 and is over 8 inches long. I was wondering how many Hikari sinking carnivore pellets I should feed her and how often I should be feeding her. Right now I feed her between 5 and 8 pellets every day. She always seems hungry and I know she can eat way more than that but I'm afraid of overfeeding her. Please let me know! Thanks!

I'm curious about this too. I have a one-year-old axolotl that's a little over 8 inches. I've been feeding him nightcrawlers, but due to digestive issues I've switched to salmon pellets. I recently received them yet I'm unsure of how much to feed him. He eats about half a nightcrawler every other to every third night. I want to make sure he's getting enough, yet I don't want to overfeed him. Any tips/recommendations?

I usually feed mine till you can see their bellies are full, they will normally stop eating when they don't want anymore. Also depends on the size of the pellets:happy:

I feed my adult axolotls one to 3 times a week. I feed about a dozen 5/32" salmon pellets. If they gobble them up quick feed more. Some eat more than others. Pellets that are not eaten for a couple days will foul the water. Just kind of play with it a little and work it so no pellets are left uneaten the day they are fed. I feed the 3/32" pellets to juveniles. Adults will also eat the small pellets but I like to use the big pellets for adults. Most other salamanders eat only the small pellets. Axolotls in captivity are often overfeed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back