Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White powder in eggs

craigw

Reaction score
I have 3 batches of eggs 2 are fine and hatching .. The 3rd batch was growing fine for a week then started going cloudy and I noticed a lot of what looks like white powder inside the egg... Now day 9... 30% of the eggs have died that have the white powder look to them. Not all have the same powder look to the egg.
All 3 batches are in new tubs... I washed out the tubs with Vinegar & Bi Carb before adding the eggs... Only one batch is effected the other 2 are doing fine and started to hatch so I think I can rule out it being the new tub...
Has anyone had this white powder look inside the egg before.

craigw

Reaction score
Two weeks and no reply ;) all good ...I myself think it was the new plastic tub.. Only have 3 babies that lived from that batch. Have gone back to glass tanks for all my eggs from now on.

chapmantl

Reaction score
Probably a fungal infection. I dont know about Axolotls but happens often with my newt eggs. If you can get one under a dissecting scope you can tell, usually looks cloudy but under a scope you can see a bunch of "hairs" coming out of the jelly. I have never heard of plastic containers causing this issue... If it was the tub, all batches probably would have been infected. If batches never came in physical contact, then I'd say something just happened to that batch.
Either way, if it happens again the best way to avoid spreading is by quarantining each batch in their own container.

craigw

Reaction score
I have paired the same 2 together again and the same thing happened all eggs went white but I did get a dozen to live..... A 2nd female also picked up sperm sacks from that night her eggs have all hatched with no problems...
The wild female 2 batches both batches went white so will not breed from her again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1