Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fastest Tank Cycle??

elicea

Reaction score
Hello all!

I recently took up the project of building my own rock background. I found some different projects and settled on one from styrofoam and quikrete concrete. Today I will be getting everything cemented into the tank.

In the mean time, my axies are hanging out in a much smaller aquarium. What is seriously failed to remember is that the tank would take like 30 days to cycle through before it is safe for the axies. My baby has already been exploding in size since moving him to earthworms, and I can tell they are cramped and unhappy.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a much faster way to cycle the tank? Obviously the faster the better, but their health is most important so if 30 days is it... then I guess I'll stick to it and shop around for another smaller tank to separate them while we wait...

Thanks!

keiko

Reaction score
Use some old filter media that is already cycled.

STCxB

Reaction score
I finished cycling my tank with a similar background in about two and a half weeks. It provides a HUGE amount of surface area for bacteria to colonize rapidly. You should transfer a small amount of substrate from the old tank and any plants you may have had in there to the new one and that will also help kick start things. Then follow the instructions at this link regarding the ammonia dosing: The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1