Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Are ping pong balls Axolotl safe?

BabySinclair

Reaction score
I recently noticed that a couple of my Axolotls like to push their Marimo Moss balls around. So I was thinking about putting in a couple water filled ping pong balls in different colors. I used to do this for my Blood parrot Cichlids. Only I would leave a small amount of air inside, and seal the hole with super glue. This would allow it to float mid tank.
Is there any reason why I should not do this with my Axolotls? Are ping pong balls aquarium safe?

Thanks in advance
Tori

ChristineB

Reaction score
I would think so, but if unsure you could coat them with aquarium-safe varnish. I would love to see a video of axolotl soccer!

charleybambino

Reaction score
Have you seen a yawning adult axi? I would be concerned they might try to eat it....what about the tennis ball sized balls for childrens ball pools? Mine push around their plants in baskets!!

BabySinclair

Reaction score
Then wouldn't Marimo moss balls be just as dangerous?? I really can't see an Axolotl swallowing a 40mm or 1 1/2" wide ball. Not to mention they say to use rocks larger than the Axolotls head, just as a ping pong ball is larger. I think a tennis ball would be far worse as it is made of rubber and other chemicals. (Have you ever cut one open and smelled it? Totally not Organic smelling..
My concern about the ping pong balls is if the plastic the ping pong ball is safe. And from what I understand no aquarium safe varnish is safe for Axolotls. But if there is one, Please let me know! :)

I've read of other people using ping pong balls but I've never read anything about the long term use and affects.

Btw, the Marimo ball soccer is kinda cute.

ChristineB

Reaction score
What's the issue with aquarium safe varnish? I don't have axies (in California) so hadn't heard that. But most pre-made tank decor is painted or varnished, surely?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Plain polyurethane varnish is safe aquariums, even for axies. I used it for many years to seal bogwood and stop it turning the water brown, just don't use it in fishtanks with plecos because they will eat it while trying to rasp at the wood!

charleybambino

Reaction score
I didn't mean use a tennis ball....just one of those very lightweight plastic balls , about the size of a tennis ball, that fill ball pits etc.

BabySinclair

Reaction score
Plain polyurethane varnish is safe aquariums, even for axies. I used it for many years to seal bogwood and stop it turning the water brown, just don't use it in fishtanks with plecos because they will eat it while trying to rasp at the wood!

You know, It's not quite fair. You get such mixed advice that it's impossible to do/get anything right. But I was asking questions a couple months ago about making caves and decor with sculpey clay and was told that under no circumstances should I seal the clay with anything, as nothing is Axolotl safe. Which I found very interesting as I've Yet to kill a shrimp with anything I have made...

And again, if a ping pong ball at 1 1/2" (3 inches in diameter) isn't safe, then I guess Marimo moss balls aren't either.

Last edited:

BabySinclair

Reaction score
According to a Wiki search, Ping Pong balls are made of cellulose, derived from cotton. The only toxicity issue is if they catch fire, and the gas they put inside for better table tennis game play. (Obviously it'll be aired out before I fill it with water. And seal it. So unless my little Axolotls can figure out how to use those cute little toes and light a match under water and are trying to burn mine and their house down. I believe I am/They are safe. Now if at some point in time, I see a yawn close to the size of the ball, and Marimo moss (I guess....) I'll pull it. But I see that as being very unlikely.

BabySinclair

Reaction score

Paint/sealant question?.. Are you familular with Rustoleum paint for plastic, 2x coverage? Do you know if it is safe? Are there any colored paints that !?!Are!?! safe? I'm not worried about Plecos, I don't have any in any of the fish tanks and would never in either of the Axolotl tanks. Now, I know the Rustolium for plastic is safe with freshwater fish and shrimps. I've been doing it for years with No Ill affects, as have many other experienced fish/shrimp keepers. But I also know that doesn't mean that it is safe for Axolotl. Is there a paint that has been Safe and successful? Or should I stick to painting and then coating everything in PolyGem resin? Which is what I have done thus far, with every decoration I have made for my adorable little poop monsters. ;)

Any advice is much appreciated :ufo:
thank you :eek:

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have heard of rustoleum before but I don't know weather its safe or not. The only product I can say is 100% safe for aquariums is the Polyurethane, that's because I've used it many times over many years with no problems at all. In theory, you could use the rustoleum for the colours and then seal the whole lot with the polyurethane afterwards, that way, the water will be kept completely away from the paint.
Generally speaking, if something is safe for shrimp and scale-less fish like catfish, it should be fine for amphlbians, but I can't say for sure I'm afraid.
The only coloured paints I can thing of are ones designed for sealing concrete fishponds, but I can't imagine there being many shades to choose from.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1