Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is this filter ok ????

reptilesJD

Reaction score
Hi everyone , I recently was looking to get a better filter for my axolotls and I found this one on eBayhttp://m.ebay.com/itm/261527635265?nav=SEARCH I wanted to see what you guys think and if it is recommendable for axolotls . right now I have a cascade filter and a sponge filter in my axolotls tank but my tank only last 1 week before it gets claudy and dirty so if this filter doesn't work I will have to sell my 4 axolotls unfortunately :( , please I hope you can help me .

Attachments

• 2015-05-29-07-55-39.png
    2015-05-29-07-55-39.png
    134.1 KB · Views: 138

reptilesJD

Reaction score
Hi everyone , I recently was looking to get a better filter for my axolotls and I found this one on eBayhttp://m.ebay.com/itm/261527635265?nav=SEARCH I wanted to see what you guys think and if it is recommendable for axolotls . right now I have a cascade filter and a sponge filter in my axolotls tank but my tank only last 1 week before it gets claudy and dirty so if this filter doesn't work I will have to sell my 4 axolotls unfortunately :( , please I hope you can help me .

Please I need someone's opinion as fast as possible so that I can make the purchase , I really appreciate your thoughts :happy:

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
From what I can tell it is not suitable. That appears to be a filter that can be attached to a uv pump filter. It looks like it is part of a system and you would need a separate pump for it.

Try to put extra biomedia in your cascade filter. Is your tank adequately cycled? Back off on feed a little.

reptilesJD

Reaction score
From what I can tell it is not suitable. That appears to be a filter that can be attached to a uv pump filter. It looks like it is part of a system and you would need a separate pump for it.

Try to put extra biomedia in your cascade filter. Is your tank adequately cycled? Back off on feed a little.

Hi , if you go the link in my post you can see that is a complete filter and it doesn't need a separate pump , also nitrates and ammonia have been regulated in my tank and overfeeding is not and option because they are trouble eaters

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi , if you go the link in my post you can see that is a complete filter and it doesn't need a separate pump , also nitrates and ammonia have been regulated in my tank and overfeeding is not and option because they are trouble eaters

I see it now. Thanks. It is a filter I have no experience with. I've had good luck with cascade and sponge filters.
If you try it please do a thread on your experience after you use it for a couple months.
Thanks.

reptilesJD

Reaction score
I see it now. Thanks. It is a filter I have no experience with. I've had good luck with cascade and sponge filters.
If you try it please do a thread on your experience after you use it for a couple months.
Thanks.

Thank you thought. I'm still looking for opinions please comment I need to take a decision by tomorrow

rachel1

Reaction score
I have used a filter of similar design in my axie tank. It was a Sunsun submersible UV sterilizer. I only kept it in for a couple weeks until the algae problem I had cleared up. I would keep an eye on temps and make sure it doesn't bring it up too much, but it worked well for me.

reptilesJD

Reaction score
I have used a filter of similar design in my axie tank. It was a Sunsun submersible UV sterilizer. I only kept it in for a couple weeks until the algae problem I had cleared up. I would keep an eye on temps and make sure it doesn't bring it up too much, but it worked well for me.

Thanks for the information I really appreciate it

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1