Please Help Me Identify My Salamanders!

Do You Think My Salamanders Look Like Axolotls?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

ShelbyMadHauke

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Shelby H.
So, as stated in my introduction I have a pond that is a home to many creatures including salamanders of some sort. However my pond dries up annually causing the deaths of all animals that are souly aquatic. This year when it came close to drying up I cought some of the juvenile salamanders living in the pond to keep them alive. To provide better care for them I would like to find out what type of salamander they are. If anyone has any idea what type of salamander they are please let me know. *I don't know how to attach pictures from a mobile device. Can someone tell me how?*

Thanks, Shelby H.

You'd do better posting in the salamander section.

The reason I posted here in the axolotl section is because I thought my salamanders look like axolotls and they might be axolotls.

P.S. How do you put pictures that you've taken in a message?

Last edited:
Slyth The Salamander.jpg

Slyth The Salamander 2.jpg

_20150528_152233.jpg

Do they look like axolotls to you? I wasn't sure but I thought they at least resembled axolotls.

I'm guessing eastern newt from the eye bands, but I'm no expert. I would feed them live blackworms, no matter what species they are. They definitely aren't axolotls, they're pretty close to extinct in the wild, and you're not in Mexico.

Not pet stores. They do not take good care of their animals, just ask other people on this forum

And yes, they are eastern newts, probably central newts, the actual eastern newt lives in north and northeast Alabama, and the rest of the range is central newt.

Okay, only a couple more noob questions:lol:...

1. What is the difference between a newt and a salamander?
2. Do Eastern/Central Newts morph to live on land? When I looked it up on Bing images all the ones that came up lived on land, but mine live in water, and water only. Does that mean they're a different species or are they just in their larval stage or something?
3. I've been feeding them mosquito larvae and I think they've been eating it. Is that okay? Should I keep feeding them that alone or do they need a little bit of variety in their diets?

Okay, only a couple more noob questions:lol:...

1. What is the difference between a newt and a salamander?
2. Do Eastern/Central Newts morph to live on land? When I looked it up on Bing images all the ones that came up lived on land, but mine live in water, and water only. Does that mean they're a different species or are they just in their larval stage or something?
3. I've been feeding them mosquito larvae and I think they've been eating it. Is that okay? Should I keep feeding them that alone or do they need a little bit of variety in their diets?

1. I dont think there is a definite answer, but all newts are salamanders, but all salamanders aren't considered newts either
2. Most salamanders have a gilled larval stage where they dont leave the water, eventually they will have their gills recede and will attempt to leave the water. Eastern newts usually go into a terrestrial eft stage where they dont want much to do with water, but the substrate should still be kept moist. Eventually they will have the potential to be kept aquatic again with only a floating land area.
3. Its okay, the staple should be chopped earthworm/nightcrawler or a high quality carnivore pellet if they will accept it.

They are still aquatic larvae right now. It's normal for larvae to have both gills and lungs once the legs develop. You will need to give them a place to come out of the water when their gills disappear. After the larvae go through metamorphosis, Eastern newts live on land for a while, then usually go back to an aquatic form as adults.

And make sure you go ahead and have a culture of springtails or fruit flies. They are small when they morph, and eat even smaller foods when they are terrestrial

You can order them or get a few fruit flies from petsmart. If the other ones that you found are not in imminent danger, (Drying out, pond drainage, invasive species) you can leave them, but if they are in trouble, you can rescue an amount that you can handle (Probably like 10)

Okay, I'm on my way to Petsmart right now. I'm planning on selling the newly hatched ones for about $1 each. I think that's a pretty good price as I've seen some go for up to $10.
Thanks, Shelby H.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back