Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Night crawler

Shilling

Reaction score
Just like to say hi, been browsing on here fore some time, I am a new proud owner of 2 eastern tiger sals and 2 fire sals.
I have been reading a lot of people's threads trying to pick up ideas and I hear a lot about night crawlers. Wot are night crawlers?

Many thanks

Paul

Shilling

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the replie, any type of earth worm? Iv been feeding lob and dendroobeina, do you just throw them in the viv and let the sals find them r put them in a plastic tub so it is easier for them to find?

Also wot is people's view on crickets, I keep a lot of darts but refuse to use crickets incase they bite, would it be the same with sals?

Cheers

Paul

jbherpin

Reaction score
I prefer garden worms, but Canadian night crawlers are generally the most suggested particularly for larger salamanders like tiger sals and fire sals. I generally offer them via tweezers or in a shallow dish. You can also add a few to the substrate as well. Crickets will always present a risk for gnawing on your sals/frogs. When I feed them though I remove the back legs and only offer a few at a time. Always remove uneaten crickets to avoid them biting your critters. Canadian night crawlers can be quite long, I find it easier for the sals to consume them when cut in half(or smaller, depending on the age/size of the sals you keep). Hope this has helped and welcome to Caudata.org!

JBear

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!