Question: What Foods Should I Feed My Salamanders/Newts?

ShelbyMadHauke

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Shelby H.
I have many young salamanders/newts that are believed to be Eastern/Central Newts ,but nothing's for sure. I believe they are 1-2 months old and all live underwater. Can someone give me a list of foods to feed them and where I can get this food, please? Keep in mind I live in Alabama (part of the U.S.) and would prefer to get something from Alabama so I don't have to pay as much for shipping.
Thanks, Shelby H.

When it rains or there is high humidity, you can collect some earthworms to feed them

If you can convince them to eat it, good quality carnivore/insectivore diet sticks

small soft moist salmon pellets.

If you have a walmart near by, they might have some canadian nightcrawlers, and baby canadian nightcrawlers that you can feed. I prefer the baby ones when they're available because the regular ones are quite large.

You can also dip net for fairy shrimp in vernal pools(provided you are sure there is no pesticides or run off etc...), or offer live brine shrimp(sparingly). I would highly recommend white worms too as they will survive quite a while in the water and will be suitably sized.

JBear

You can buy live foods on Aquabid.com or eBay if they aren't interested in pellets. I use mostly daphnia and blackworms- it will be more expensive than pellets, though.

I second what Xavier said I got some eastern newts not to long ago and I got them to eat in within 2 days using a small bowl and putting it in the tank level with the substrate and putting reasonable sized worms in it and 1 by 1 introducing the newts to the worms and if are hungry they will eat
also can you post some pic's?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back