Please help identify this newt!

jamessamlev

Reaction score
Country
England
a9cb5d47db32cea3b20d508d3d17e7e8.jpg

Sold to me as a california newt

A species of warty newt, I will link you to how to identify it

I would agree, I brought 3 of these amazing little guys for £20 each!

I can also tell you that it is definitely not a California newt

The guy who sold them too me told me they should be kept terrestrial because they are quite young, what age should they be aquatic by?

And that's what I thought as the californias have plain yellow bellies. (Don't judge me, I don't know scientific names or the Latin names for them)

I agree with Xavier its most likely Paramesotriton chinensis. Do the other two look Identical? I ask because I've often seen mixed species of warty newts for sale under one name.
Unless they are captive bred, which they almost certainly aren't, they will be a mature adults, so they can be housed in an aquarium with a small island or cork float.
If you are keeping them together keep an eye out for fights, warty newts are highly territorial and aggressive especially males so be prepared to separate them if need be.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back