Question: New tank and home for axolotl. please help

Sakaris

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just looking for some advice.

I have moved 2 axolotls in to a new tank

one is loving life and eating every other day

the other (who is larger and older) has not eaten in 6 days and im a little worried - i know they can go a while without food but still worried....he/shes pretty hefty aswell

any help would be amazing

they have been in their previous tank beforehand for over a year without major disruption, prior to this they have moved from nottingham to london.

the size of the tank is substantially larger and deeper (its s a fluval accent 95ltr) im worried it may be too deep.

if anyone has any ideas of how to help them climatise i would really appreciate it.

many thanks

charley xxx

Is the new tank cycled? What are the parameters? I would check the parameters and make sure they are all fine. If so, then I probably would not worry too much just yet unless she/he starts losing body condition. Axolotls will sometimes refuse to eat whilst they are settling into their new environment and he/she may start eating again once he/she becomes more settled.

hi,

any help would be great!

didnt have time to condition the new tank as the old tank got a massive crack in it while cleaning. axies been in there for 2 weeks now and haven't eaten (the first ate for the first 3 days then stopped). both look pretty active and energetic.

very worried obviously. have turned off filter and lowered the water (resulting in daily water changes) to see if that may make a difference.

have been trying to feed them the usual live, fridged worms periodically but no use (its what they are used too).

not too sure how much longer they can can go without food?????

thanks,

Charley

How did a crack in the old tank affect conditioning the new tank? Are you saying you haven't dechlorinated the water or cycled the new tank? As Skudo said, have you checked the water parameters? Sounds like poor water quality is causing the problem, but since you said only one of the Axolotl is not eating it could be something else. I would check your water quality ASAP and continue the water changes.

Sounds like they had to be transferred to the new tank same-day without cycling, due to unexpected tank failure. If you moved their tank decor and filter, there might still be a lot of good bacteria preserved. Assuming you've checked water quality, is there something else that could be stressing them? Major change in temp or light levels? Not enough hides for the bigger tank? I would think there's been time to adjust to their new home by now. Have you tried any other food types? Maybe the worms just aren't appealing for some reason.

Have you checked the water parameters? What were the readings? I don't think the water was too deep. More water will give you more control with maintaining good water quality, particularly while you will have to cycle your tank. Is the flow of the filter too strong? I would keep it going for the benefit of your tank's cycle but if you are worried that the flow is too strong you could place something like an ornament in front of the outflow to baffle it a bit. As Christine suggested, is there something else that could be stressing them out? They should have settled in by now so I would think that there may be a water quality issue or something else that is upsetting them. What is different from their previous tank that could be stressing them out? lights? Temperature? Maybe offer some different foods? What type of worms are you feeding them? Maybe try some different types of earthworms?

I would check the water parameters and go from there. If the parameters are all in check, then look at other reasons that may be upsetting them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back