New Axolotl owners, looking for help/advice

HeartlessAngel

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello everyone! My name is heartlessAngel, and my Girlfriend and I just got our very first Axolotl yesterday fro, Big Al's fishmart. We've wanted to get an Axolotl for a very long time now, and we plan on getting a second one next time we get paid (Our tank is 60 Gallons). Below I have pictures of the set-up we have, and of our little guy (Or girl, we honestly have no idea) named Mudkip.

However, the biggest reason I am posting this is also for some insight perhaps. When we bought Mudkip yesterday, his fin was completely intact, as it was this morning. However, sometime today we noticed some damage to it, with a chunk seemingly missing. We have no other animals in the tank with our Axolotl, so we have no idea how it could have happened. Hopefully the pictures will reveal some insight? Any help with what we can change to make Mudkip, and any future Axi's we get, as healthy and happy as possible.

IMG_20150531_210630_zpsd6t9vjf5.jpg

It may be possible he/she damaged the fin on the ornament? Check for any sharp edges on the log and if there are any particularly sharp edges, it may be worth replacing with a different hide. For recovery, I would monitor the parameters closely (I assume your tank is cycled?) and make sure water conditions are perfect as this will aid in recovery. Keep an eye out for fungus as well (appears as a cotton wool like growth).

I like the colour sand :) Maybe add some more plants and a couple more hides?

i would be careful about buying from big al's there are better independent breeders in ontario that have beautiful animals. big al's kennedy location is now supplied by people who originally bought a pair from them making the babies inbred. there are health problems that tend to come along with them. if you are looking for good breeders you can try Alot'l axolotls alotlaxolotls.weebly.com or Axolotl Canada they have adds on kijiji or just google them and they both will come up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back