Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New setup

ollydbg

Reaction score
Hi, so I had two quick questions.

I have a 55 gallon tank I want to house my axolotls, I bought 40lbs worth of this sand.

Pool Filter Sand, 20 lbs | Canadian Tire

Does anyone have experience with it? I didn't want pure white sand but close to it, I just cant find any information on this brand in particular. I assume its ok as other people use PFS for their setups.

Additionally, I have a Marine C-360 canister filter, I was going to make a spray bar for it using 1/2" pvc pipe and then point the flow upwards to the surface. With this I hope to have very little current under the water that would stress the axolotls.

With that information, any suggestions? Is my filtering idea and substrate good?

Thanks,

Astrolotl

Banned
Reaction score
I thought I read some where that pool filter sand is not good to use for lotl tanks as it is chemically treated. I might be thinking about construction sand though. The c-360 sounds like a good filter although I'm not sure how well just a piece of pipe pointing up would work as a spray bar. I'm sure there are plenty of tutorials on the net for making spray bars, I actually need to look into it myself since I plan on doing a spray bar with the same filter.

EDIT: pool filter sand is safe! I must have gotten it confused with construction sand.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!