Worried About Ensatina

Kauveh

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My female ensatina I have kept for a year now is fatter than usual today... I looked at her belly and I don't see much. Is this some form of bloat or did she just eat a lot. :confused:

It would be impossible to tell from that description, we would need pictures if you could get some

I took pictures but they didn't show anything because my tablet takes really blurry pictures. I am going to try my friends phone.

Last edited:
I will leave her with out food and if she stays the same or gets bigger something is wrong.

That isn't a very smart idea, if it is bloat, the animal might get worse to the point where treatment might not help much

Isn't bloat considered an aquatic species related illness? Could it be possible she has become gravid? Are you sure it is female?

JBear

What species of Ensatina is this? One thing for sure is that when Plethodontids get gravid they're not enormously huge or not that much fatter compared to non gravid individuals. I have a few gravid Ensatina right now and the eggs are visible through the skin to an extent. Look for eggs it shouldn't be hard to see any if they're there.

Also try to take a picture and upload it some way. Photo evidence is a good source of evidence.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back