Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to Caudata, but old to newts

ergoreefer

Reaction score
Pleasure to introduce myself…finally posting my tanks. I maintain three Chinese fire-belly newts tanks - 20 gallon adult tank with Honwort, 10 gallon sub-adult also with Honwort and a terrestrial grow out tank. I started with two that happen to pair and spawn. Now I probably have about 100 newts – lost count!! I will eventually need some new newts to reduce the chances of inbreeding. I have been selling adults to a local reptile/amphibian shops, as I have too many to maintain. I will be posting a local give away of terrestrial stage larvae newts in the classified section once I have enough posts. Please comment.

Thanks,
Paul

Here are some photos:

Attachments

• LarvaeInAdultTank.jpg
    LarvaeInAdultTank.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 227
  • TerrestrialTank.jpg
    TerrestrialTank.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 223
  • Subadult.jpg
    Subadult.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 215

jbherpin

Reaction score
Welcome! You seem to have your hands full! I appreciate the approach you have taken in regards to the distribution of your offspring. PM to follow...

JBear

ergoreefer

Reaction score
Just to update this thread...I keep writing Honwort...meant Hornwort...lol

All the terrestrials are being fed vitamin powdered fruit flies and black worms. I clean the tanks thoroughly every week with RO water. My survival rate has been quite high, and only recently have lost a few from an unknown reason. I agree the tanks are way over populated.

Hence why I am posting, I need to give some away - eggs, larval, juveniles and aquatic sub adults available.

I will be also posting in the classified section. Anyone locally interested, please pm me.
Paul

ergoreefer

Reaction score
Just attempted to post in the classified...can't seem to start a post there, as it is still restricted...Here recent photo of all the juveniles during a recent and thorough cleaning of their tank. Guess how many are in the bucket? Again, please pm with any local inquiries...they need a good home.

Attachments

• BabyNewtBucket.jpg
    BabyNewtBucket.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 195

Niels D

Reaction score
Getting new assets to the gene pool is always a good thing, though I wouldn't worry about inbreeding too much. Salamanders are designed to cope with situations of isolated populations for long period.

Sware8

Reaction score
That sounds amazing! I'very been checking the classified section for weeks lol but I would need eggs because I'm based in Florida

Farmdee

Reaction score
I am also looking for eggs in Florida. Let me know if you have any success!

Cito3

Reaction score
Hi! I am relatively new to newts but have taken good care of reptiles and fish in the past. I currently have one eastern newt but am dying for more. Let me know if anyone has newts available in the Orlando area.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1