Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Planted axolotl tank

vanjaif

Reaction score
Hey guys! Show me your planted axolotl tank! :happy:

I currently don't have any real plants in my axolotl tank, but I would really love to. I don't have any skills when it comes to aquarium decoration or knowledge about plants. So do you have plants in your axolotl tank? Could you show some pictures and tell me what plants you have, and how you manage to take care of them.

Hope to see some great tanks, Best regards, Vanja.

Astrolotl

Banned
Reaction score
Here's some of the only good (cell phone) pictures I had of my tank while Latté was alive. (edited for brightness)
Basically I never did anything, no ferts, no root tabs. These plants explode in growth as long as there are nitrates to absorb.
Anubias nana
water sprite
willow moss
flame moss
amazon sword
vallisneria spiralis
my light is a finnex fuge ray that I only have on for 2 hours a day.

Attachments

• 20150522_095743.jpg
    20150522_095743.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 8,480
  • 20150429_090857.jpg
    20150429_090857.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 999

STCxB

Reaction score
I have some dwarf sword, I think is what it is called, as well as some Java fern and some no-name stalked plants that keep getting uprooted.

The Java fern and dwarf swords seem nearly indestructible and only occasionally get uprooted. The Java fern especially is my go to plant for any aquarium I've ever had since it reproduces so readily.

The plants that have stalks are the hard part. I bought a beautiful piece of mopani wood from Petco to try and convince them to root into something since they are currently just floating around. It currently is soaking in water to get the tannins out and then I'll put it in and tie my plants down.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 4,327
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 811
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1