Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Injured Paddletail

dannyyyallenn

Reaction score
Both of my newts arrived today at 11:00 am. One of them is really big and healthy(not fat but built) but the other is not. The one I'm concerned about looks like a male and is rather small, he has several deformed limbs that don't seem to function. He seems alert and isn't sluggish or sickly but his legs really just drag and his fingers barely work like the other newt's. Also, his ventral side is splotchy with pale skin. Most of it is the healthy bright red color but it appears that some of the skin has peeled off a bit. What should I do for this guy? I believe he can fully recover.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Paddletails don't get along. The injuries may have happened when kept in a mass tank with other imports. Anyway I'd start with keeping him separate in a small tank and feeding him well. Hopefully he can improve. See the links in my sig for direction to caudate culture and articles on caring for wounds etc.

dannyyyallenn

Reaction score
I have them in a 30 gal tank with plenty of hiding spots as well as a rest area at the top of the water. As of now I've seen no aggression between the two, no snapping or avoiding of each other. Also, I haven't seen any bite marks or cuts. The leg injuries look more like a leg that was broken or entirely amputated and grew back wrong due to bad housing. The injured newt gladly excepted an earthworm a little bit ago tho, thanks for the advice. I'm hoping this is not a permanent leg problem and that he can get over the limp.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a pair that were in a well planted tank together for five years and one day the female just mutilated the male.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!