Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Chinese fire belly newt won't eat

BZ

Reaction score
Hi. I got my newt from a pet store 2 months ago. He's still skinny and doesn't want to eat much. I've tried live foods suggested on this site along with some others suggested here. He has proper housing. I don't know else to do. I gave him a worm today and he bit it a few times but then sat there looking at it.

BananaBearzz

Reaction score
I have had the same problem with my Firebelly not eating. Your newt is most likely stressed. Lighting could be a reason why it's stressed. It could also be adjusting to its invironment. Now the worm you're giving it might be too big for your little newt. You might have to cut the worm up and feed the worm to it. I feed my newt Bloodworms and newt pellets. It may take awhile before your newt eats. I hope this helped.
Banana

Reaction score
You should definitely try to get it to eat earthworms; they're hands down the best staple for newts because they are packed with nutrients like calcium, which will fortify your newt. When my fire belly doesnt eat I try with tweezers a few times. Then I take him out of his tank and set him on a damp paper towel and put a piece of earthworm in front of him. He will usually go for it then. If this doesn't work, try putting some pieces of worm on a paper towel on a rock or in a dish (basically anywhere they won't be able to foul the water) and leave them with the newt for a couple of hours. If possible, try to turn off the lights and make as little noise as possible to minimize the stress he/she is experiencing. Hopefully your newt will eat the worm when he isn't under pressure and stress that a feeding situation can cause. Make sure the pieces are smaller enough for your newt to eat; bigger worms intimidate my newt so this is probably the case for yours. Best of luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1