Question: Axolotl baby care

dryopteris

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hello,

I'm raising 25 axolotls and things are going great so far, but I have a problem. in about a month I will be going away for a week and all the people I know who could take care of them will not be here either. When the time comes they will be 7 weeks old and the worst case scenario would be that they're left alone for a week.
I was thinking of putting them in several large tanks (about 8 axolotls per 1 96 L tank) with a good filter and enough live food to feed them for a few days.

First of all I want to make clear that I don't plan to do this unless there is no other way.
What I wanted to ask is: how likely is it that they will eat eachother? How long can 7 week year old axolotls survive without food? Could they be housed with more of them in one tank or is it already enough/too much?
Thanks in advance!

I'm not well versed on young axolotls, but from what I've read, when they reach 1.5 inches, that's when cannibalism is more prevalent. If you don't feed them well, it's very possible that they may nip at each other. I don't know the growth rates of axolotls, but if you think they'll be big enough before you leave, you could try to sell them. If you're okay with/planning to sell them, at least. It would definitely lighten the load on your shoulders and be less to worry about. Hopefully everything works out for you!

At 7 weeks old they should almost ready for sale. They should be actively growing their back legs and should be cleared of the cannibalism once the back legs are fully grown. Provided you aren't crowding them. At 7 weeks, they will also not be eating live food anymore (unless u are feeding live worms and unless u have a few really slow growers). A week is a long time to leave them. Those guys need to be fed atleast once, if not twice a day. I think your only hope would be to put them into tanks like you said. If the water is good and cycled then you will be fine, careful that the good filter you put on isn't heavy in flow (but im sure u know that).
Now to answer your questions directly
1. Not too likely if they all have their back legs and aren't crowded. I would say 7-8 to a 10 gal would be okay.
2. Probably not too long.. and they will eat each other if they get too hungry
3. A 1 litre tank is very small for 8 axolotls if you are leaving them for a week (as stated above, they will probably eat each other). I would only put 4 per 1 litre container

Hope this helps

I wouldn't think they could go with out food for long. Adults are one thing juvies go cannibal on you in a snap.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back