Intro and questions:)

iAmOrangutan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all!

I've had two axolotls since last October or so. One grew really big and pretty relatively quickly while the other one always seemed rather stunted. I left town for a while and someone out of my control fed them and had them fighting and the bigger one ate the legs off the stunted one. They're regrowing (sadly, in weird directions), and I separated them and gave the smaller one a shallower container so he doesn't have to work so hard to breach the surface.
FHpnsAV,UFXr3lO

I just found water dogs for sale at a bait shop and got a half-starved one. He'd be the same size of my pink one if he had been fed to be a pet and not catfish bait.

As I just joined this forum a few days ago, I thought I'd ask a couple questions about my new axolotl. First, this "water dog" generally looks the same (except coloration) as my pink one, but there are noticeable differences. This new one looks more amphibian-esque and has fatter toes. IS that a male/female difference or is that a subspecies difference or is that just how their feet grow sometimes?
FHpnsAV,UFXr3lO

Also, and most importantly, is there anything I can do to calm down my new one? He's super skiddish and has barely stopped frantically swimming around the tank since I got him a few hours ago. I added a newer hide but he didn't seem at all interested and just kept swimming at the walls.

Thanks for your help! Axolotls rule!

We can't see your pictures. Maybe upload them?
ALso a Waterdog is not an axolotl - probably a larval tiger salamander, and if so it will become terrestrial eventually. Anyway good luck!!

UFXr3lO.jpg
This is Venus, my pink axie.

FHpnsAV.jpg
This is my water dog, Jupiter.

Sorry the pics didn't work earlier. I uploaded them to imgur but I guess the link wasn't clickable unless you open it in a new tab.

I've been so hung up on my two axies that it never even crossed my mind that this water dog wasn't one. Feel rather silly, but I guess they eat the same stuff so I'm assuming there won't be any problems. I'll just have to make a ledge for it to eventually crawl out onto land. Saved it from being fish food at least.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back