Hiccup's big move!

Megez

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey there everyone! Proud moment in my little Hiccup's life

Hiccup graduated! YAAAY!

Moved my not so little Axxie into their new home last night, he (not sure if it's a he or she yet) is about 7-8 inches long now and was looking rather large in his 10 Gallon tank (so large that I removed his 'tree' decoration.

Thanks to some Kijiji magic I spotted a beautiful tank with a large footprint (24 inches long by 14 inches wide, 15 inches tall) and transferred everything into the new tank; sand, decorations, water, plants & even the few tag along snails.

The tank came with an older HOB filter that I've attached a baffle to, but I'm also running the 10 gallon's Repti filter in tank canister filter.

here's his old house (pardon the debis, was mid clean)
uDBMJ1

Poor Hiccup didn't like the Jar transfer...
tHdxPt

His new house! He now sits side by side with my 20 Gallon community tank.
untxMU

Was taken right after pouring in the water; all the debris from the sand was kicked up during the transfer.

The tank does have lights (mostly for maintaining it) but I'm growing in frogbit to cover the tank top so that it will dilute the light so he's more comfy.
This morning I offered him his favorite meal, bloodworms and he chowed down.
(Gonna be looking into getting some regular earth worms from the local bait shop):D

Thanks for letting me know about the photos!!

Here's a link to the album to see: Hiccup the Axolotl

His old tank had a cooling hood that I made with two computer fans, kept the temperature nice and steady. The big tank doesn't have anything so fancy as yet and I'm struggling to keep it in the happy zone of the temperature range, just slightly above right now, but I've got the old cooling hood and a small desk fan on it.

I'm going to need a bigger fan.

I named my guy Hiccup too! Everyone just calls him Dirt though.

Your axie looks very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back