Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotls tank without filter.

Trams

Reaction score
Hello.

I haven't mechanical filter in my tank, only plants. Started in January 2014 with one monster, there are now three, one male and two females.

My tank measure 107*35*45(cm) or 42*13*17(inch). I'm looking for bigger ;)

It's almost self sustaining ecosystem. I don't change water but completed evaporation with rain water or tap water. I'm checking parameters when I introduce a new axolotl, I see growing algae or limestone trace on the glass.

Light is compact fluorescent bulb 20w, 6500°k (daylight), Color Rendering Index: 99. I have DIY reflector cardboard ;)

Axolotls are not the only animals in my tank. There are Neocaridina Shrimps, Gammarus, Asellus, can Axolotls eat and Hydra, Daphnia, Clyclops and Ostracods. I feed with Guppies, mosquito fish, worms, dragonfly larvae.

Aquatics plants are Vallisneria, Ceratophyllum, Elodea, Lilaeopsis and Myriophyllum.
Terrestrial plant are Phillodendron, Dracaena spathiphyllum, Tradescantia.

My tank:
10.35.jpg

Xochi:

10.34.jpg

Axo (albino) and Oxah (wild)

18.75.jpg

On video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTyJy8Pgd9Y&feature=youtu.be

If you speak french, you can follow my thread on french axolotl forum here:

Connexion

Sorry for my bad english, i'm learning........ better late than never ;)

Sweetie

Reaction score
The proof, as I think the French say, is in the pudding, and you certainly have some happy and healthy-looking axolotls. I also did the no-filter thing successfully in a previous planted tank, but am setting up a new tank and this time have decided on two air-pump-driven sponge filters in a 190-litre tank (three-foot long). It just seems safer. I was always concerned about plants dying or yellowing, and although I am still a big fan of a planted tank, I do think a basic sponge filter is a good precaution. Not sure whether your tank would be lacking minerals from the lack of top-ups (rainwater doesn't provide minerals I believe), and if your plants began dying or yellowing, the lack of water changes could lead to rising nitrate levels, so with your set-up, I would suggest at least occasional (weekly or fortnightly) water changes of 10% to 15% with dechlorinated tap water.

Trams

Reaction score
In France we said : "On juge l'arbre à ses fruits." (Tree is judged by its fruits)

I was always concerned about plants dying or yellowing,

I just look if all is ok, I must keep a balance between animal and plants. On may 2014 I had a deficient plant (Anthurium) because No3 was 0. There was too much plants, but today, all is ok (at least for now ;) )

rainwater doesn't provide minerals I believe,
Exactly. When GH it's low I use dechlorinated tap water (it's too hard here), when it's high, I use rainwater. That's why I look the glass.

Sweetie

Reaction score
In France we said : "On juge l'arbre à ses fruits." (Tree is judged by its fruits)

Thank you for that. I learn something new every day!

When GH it's low I use dechlorinated tap water (it's too hard here), when it's high, I use rainwater. That's why I look the glass.

It sounds as though you're keeping tabs on nitrates, water hardness etc, and as I said in an earlier post, your lotl certainly looks happy and healthy, so you must be doing something right.

Meanwhile, and completely off topic, I am so jealous - will be sitting up late at night here in cold, cold Melbourne, Australia, watching the cyclists traverse your beautiful mountains and countryside in Le Tour from 4 July, having caught up on a bit of sleep since the Giro, though not much, with the Dauphine just completed and the Tour of Switzerland currently on. (Yes, I truly love my cycling.)

Of course, to get back on track, the lotls are at their liveliest around 2am, so catching them engaged in some of their most bizarre activities is a bonus of my addiction to late-night sport on TV.

Trams

Reaction score
Without drugs would arrive in September at avenue des Champs-Elysées but shhh it's a secret.

If you want we can exchange our house on July I fed yours animals you mine. I'm sorry but I did not bike, take yours ;)

I haven't TV. Personally, I prefer watch only my tanks it's safe for my mental security. TV today make......:crazy: ^^

silhouette71au

Reaction score
That is one awesome tank, seems like you have managed to create a very natural environment for your beautiful axolotls... good work. I am not sure I would have the patience lol

Trams

Reaction score
Thank you very much.

All fishkeeper have a little patience, yours may be hidden ;)
Remember that you waited three or four weeks for cycling your tank. It is long....for all ^^

EggNewton

Reaction score
Your tank is beautiful! So natural. What is the grass like plant in the bottom may I ask? I have sand substrate and still need to add plants but am unsure of what to get. I would love something like that in mine to make it appear less barren.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1