Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Pregnant, fat or sick!?!?!

jamessamlev

Reaction score
Please help I know it's not really a good enough picture but it's all I can get without stressing her out! Is she pregnant if so good, if not what should I do, she had a terrestrial stage where they hadn't been fed properly for like 3 weeks as the shop set her up wrong!

jamessamlev

Reaction score
Please help I know it's not really a good enough picture but it's all I can get without stressing her out! Is she pregnant if so good, if not what should I do, she had a terrestrial stage where they hadn't been fed properly for like 3 weeks as the shop set her up wrong!
04d64b2265b96fa9a8ea75202dfa4863.jpg

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would say it looks about the right shape for a healthy newt. Freshly imported newts often eat and eat which can even be a bad thing under certain circumstances, but that one looks fine.
Keep on reading and be paranoid about water quality until the tank cycles, excellent water quality is critical for de-stressing imported newts.

jamessamlev

Reaction score
Thank you its just the other male and the other female came in a lot slimmer, I checked the ph and it's at 7 which is pretty perfect, I'm also getting some live plants and sand to help the cycle on Saturday and possibly getting some rabora fish (too fast for the newts too catch)

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Thank you its just the other male and the other female came in a lot slimmer, I checked the ph and it's at 7 which is pretty perfect, I'm also getting some live plants and sand to help the cycle on Saturday and possibly getting some rabora fish (too fast for the newts too catch)

I personally wouldnt get the fish, especially adding them to a tank with a wild caught newt, it will probably only be added stress

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1