Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Cloudy Axolotl Water

Emma18

Reaction score
Ok, so I have had my axie for almost half a year. I got a small filter that did great when he was little but as he got bigger my water got cloudy. I used seachem stabilizer in the past and it was amazing at clearing up cloudiness. But it got worse... so I bought a new filter, that was much bigger. These were both sponge filters. And it is still cloudy. I am thinking it is bacteria or algae so I wanted to get a snail(you may have seen my previous post. Obviously a snail won't clear up a 20 gallon tank though. My axie is doing great, swimming, resting, eating. He is a good weight not too skinny or fat. Anyway I did a big water change and washed everything but the filter and filled the tank up. Still cloudy, so I filled it up again. This was a very long process. I noticed my fake log was falling apart, so I looked up reviews and found that it had killed other fish. I took that out. It was a zoo med log. It is three days later, and cloudy again! I am getting a new filter. Aqua Clear 30 power filter. I will leave my sponge filter in to help cycle, but I am lost here. What should I do?

jamessamlev

Reaction score
Probably something to do with the filter, do you change the sponge? Ive put my newts in there new tank for 3 days and its already cloudy. Sometimes its just ment to be :(

Emma18

Reaction score
The sponge is relatively new, like a month new. It started getting cloudy before I got a new one, and now it is still cloudy. I don't get it this sponge looks clean and it is much larger. For the first few months after I got him the water was normal. I only had to do weekly water changes. Now it is three days and I am probably going to do another one today:( Like I said I am getting another filter, this one a cartridge, but I have tried so many things, I am not sure what to do. I can try to clean the sponge, but the filter is coming tomorrow so it is not much use.

Emma18

Reaction score
Actually the filter is coming on thursday. Do you think I should clean the sponge? If so, how?

tammyaxie

Reaction score
Is it silty or milky? I read that algae blooms make the water milky but I thought a good cleaning is all that would be necessary to get rid of it. I could be wrong then. Do u have substrate and what type? Are u feeding pellets?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Emma18

Reaction score
I have large river rocks and the last few times have been a very good cleaning, the rocks and everything. Yesterday I just rinsed every thing off and put water in. It is usually clear for a few days and cloudy again. It looks milky but it actually has this weird white stuff floating in it sometimes. It looks like slime or gunk. And yes I feed axolotl pellets.

tammyaxie

Reaction score
Ur cycle could have crashed causing a bacterial bloom that uneaten pellets can be contributing to. The water quality could be a result of overfeeding.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Emma18

Reaction score
That makes sense, I did get a new filter, my other filter was dirty and needed to be replaced though. So what should I do? I am leaving this filter in for a month or so so that my new filter can cycle.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1