Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Quarantine shrimp? Why?

Emma18

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I recently did a thread on snails for cleaners. Every reply suggested shrimp, so now I have new questions. One writer suggested quarantining the shrimp. But neither of us quite knew why:confused: So do I need to quarantine? If so, how long? And why?! I was thinking Ghost or cherry shrimp.

Emma18

Reaction score
I may get some tomorrow, I was thinking of breeding the shrimp. It seems it is quite easy. I need answers fast because like I said I may get some tomorrow and I need to know If I need a new bowl and heater or not and if i need a filter, I have an extra sponge filter if needed. But how easy are they to breed and what supplies do I need? I need answers fast, like I said. This may be my only time for a while to get to this pet store since I live in a rural area. Thanks!:D

auntiejude

Reaction score
Anything live that you put in your tank should be quarantined for a month first to ensure its not bringing disease, infection, parasites or hitch-hikers. Plants, shrimp, feeder fish or other axies - same rule applies to anything

sully

Reaction score
i know someone who breeds shrimp in just a 2.5 gallon. id say if you were going to breed alot a 5 gallon with a small sponge filter and places to hide and lay eggs would be best.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!