Bubbly edges of tank in new setup?

generalbutton

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, I'm not super experienced when it comes to this thing, and I don't know if this is normal. I just put in new sand (thoroughly washed) and added tap water (I was going to use Prime after it was filled) but I noticed that the edges of the water have a bubbly film. I haven't used any cleaning products at all, so I don't know how this could have happened. Did I not wash the sand enough? Will it settle? I currently just drained the tank to be safe until I know what to do.

update: I cleaned the sand a couple more times and I think that fixed it. I guess I was just dumb (and freaking out)

On any tank you can get a protein film on the surface - the bubbles then form in this film. It's nothing to worry about, and by removing the sand and stirring the water up you have temporarily resolved it.

All you need to do is use the filter to break the surface - use a spray bar or have the outlet create some ripples.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back