Bsal question

velasco13000

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Ezequiel Velasco
With all the buzz going around about the Bsal fungus that's killing everything over here in the U.S. .. How dangerous is it really and how easily can it be passed to other amphibians? What's the best way to sterilize the tanks and the decorations that might possibly Cary the fungus?

As far as I know it is highly contagious and almost always fatal if untreated.
Treatment is quite straight forward for captive animals though, much like Chitridiumycosis, but wild populations obviously can't be treated so the disease is at its most dangerous in the wild environment.
Maybe someone up to speed on these things, Cough! --FrogEyes-- Cough! :) will tell us more.

Use bleach to sterilise tanks and ornaments. Current thinking is 1 part bleach to 10 parts water will kill the fungus. Rinse well after treatment and leave to dry. If you suspect your pets have Bsal get them tested. The key focus is less on preventing spread within your collection but more on preventing release into the wild. We should really be treating all waste water with bleach before disposing of it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back