Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Raising Larvae with Adults

Bethany29

Reaction score
I have 3 Chinese fire belly newts and today I saw a little larvae chilling out in their tank. It may have been eaten already but I was wondering about the pros and cons to keeping it with the adults still in there?

I'm also going to need information on care during the terrestrial phase which I haven't been able to find much about on this site. If someone could give me a link to that, it would be much appreciated.

Also does anyone know about how old it is? It's about 1 cm long and swims around pretty well but I didn't get a good picture.

ChristineB

Reaction score
Cool! If you want to raise it, you should separate it. There is no "pro" to raising it with adults, other than the potential problem of a larvae you can't/don't want to raise separately taking care of itself in one big gulp! :grin: Seriously, though, the only advantage I can think of is water quality, and you could use a divider or breeder box to achieve that. Here are the Caudata links: Caudata Culture Articles - Raising Newts and Salamanders from Eggs. Caudata Culture Articles - Raising Juvenile Newts
Good luck!

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
There is no "pro" to raising it with adults

Will my H. orientalis, they will eat the eggs, but dont generally touch the larvae. It depends on the newts personality, but usually H. orientalis dont eat their larvae often, especially in a tank with lots of plants and hides. A pro to raising them in the tank with the adults is that if its an established tank, there would be lots of micro-organisms for the larvae to feed on. Apart from that and leftover food I haven't had to have any other source of food for them until they morphed.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I leave my Cynops larvae with their parents, As Aaron says, the adults will most likely eat some of the eggs, but the seem hard wired to avoid eating larvae.

AuSu

Reaction score
I share the same experience with Aaron and Chinadog, they eat eggs but don't care about larvae. Can't tell age from size but my orientalis have became terrestial when about 3-3,5 cm long so I'd think it's guite young?

Bethany29

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks guys! I haven't seen the little guy in a while so he was probably eaten. But next time I think I'll use the little plastic breeding thing to separate the larvae :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1