Cascade Filter Help

Durza

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
HI,
i read abotu filters in the article option and i'm thinking about getting one since it filters and gets oxygen into the water.
My aquarium has 50x29x32 and i thin it has 45 (almost 11/12 gallons) and i putting 2/3 fire belly newts. Is this a good filter option? In my town i don't have many options with filters! :(
i'm afraid it wi'll creat to much current is there anyway to disperse it?

I have bought some thick, dense plants such as anacharis and brazilian pennywort to disperse the current with my Reptofilter. I just let them float right in front and it seems to help a lot! Hope this helps a little bit.

With enough plants in there you could easily get away without a filter at all.
If the Firebellies you're getting are from a pet store they will be highly stressed and fragile, so its important that you give them optimal conditions to help them recover and adapt to captivity. If they sense moving water they may just refuse to go in the water at all
If you are going to use a filter an air driven sponge filter would be best as their gentle turnover rate means less water currents, especially if the outlet is diffused with plants as Joe .P says. I buy my sponge filters very cheaply from ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-Aquari...518?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35ecd8004e

Last edited:
OK those are pretty cheap!

I'm thinkin about getting one i'll se on my country if i get one! Can i start the nitrogen cicle without the filter and put it on later? i'll start doin the circle next week i only will get the newts mid august!

Yes, you can get the tank set up and begin cycling it. Live plants will help a lot to begin with as they'll already have a biofilm on them to some degree, they will also remove raw ammonia directly from the water as well as nitrate being produced by the de-nitrification processJust add your sponge filter as and when yo get it.

Is there more alternatives to the sponge and/or cascade filter?

One more thing: doesn't the sponge filter does too much movement on the aquarium due to the air bein pumped through the filter?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back