Taricha torosa or Notophthalmus viridescens?

joemomma1016

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Joe Pom
I was setting up a 29 gallon enclosure for taricha granulosa but it seems as though I won't be able to get my hands on any unfortunately. I have a found a breeder who has some Notophthalmus viridescens and taricha torosa. I have read that it's sometimes difficult to keep notos, and that taricha torosa is generally easier. I'm just having trouble making a decision since I have already setup this nice aquatic enclosure. Any advice is helpful! Thanks.

I would go for the Notops lf they are genuinely captive bred. T. torosa are much more terrestrially inclined than N. viridescens or T. granulosa, so they might be better off in a woodland style enclosure apart from the breeding season, when they should obviously be transferred to a cycled aquarium.
The problems associated with keeping Notos are thought at least in part, to be from the poor conditions and wrong temperatures they encounter in the pet trade, if you plan their tank carefully and offer optimal conditions captive bred ones should be much more robust than risky pet store ones.

Thanks for the input both of you! The torosa are captive bred I know for sure. The notos in the pet store nearest me are most certainly WC. I've read some people putting tannins in the water with oak leaves for notos and that helps, but that was just on another post on this website.

Yes, Oak leaves are used in an effort to control the fungal infections that captive Notos seem prone to.
I would strongly recommend avoiding wild caught Notos, they are usually short lived and especially prone to all kinds of problems, even when given the correct care.
The captive bred torosa should make great, long lived pets if you look after them properly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back