Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick florida axolotl may need a new home.

jackieb

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I just joined this because I need help.

A few months ago I bought an axolotl at a pet store because he was cute and because the lady working there said they were low maintenance. Since then I have learned not to believe people working in pet stores. I bought him to go in a fish tank and I was told the only thing I needed to purchase was blood worms. At the pet store the axolotl was housed with gravel and other fish so I assumed that everything would be fine.

I put him (or her) in the fish tank with other fish at first, but decided to check into anything else he may need. I did not expect I would have to purchase a new tank and if I had known before I bought him, I probably wouldn't have gotten him. But I had already grown attached so I spent some on a new tank.

I'm a college student so I don't really have the funds to care for him, but I really tried to do what I could. I thought a new tank would make him happier but recently I found wounds on his back. They are stringy looking and I believe that it's fungal. After doing more research I realized that the Florida heat probably didn't help the situation.

Right now he is living in the fridge and I am giving him salt baths daily. I am trying my best, but this breaks my heart. I love my little axolotl and I really don't want to accidentally kill him. It is the worst thing knowing that I probably caused his suffering.

I need help. I would be willing to give him to anyone with the knowledge and funds to properly care for him. I will try my hardest to care for him if no one can take him, but I need advice. I am clueless and terrified that I will kill him

Please help me. :(

Attachments

• 20150625_170157.jpg
    20150625_170157.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 419
  • 20150625_170257.jpg
    20150625_170257.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:

cabbysarus

Reaction score
Poor little guy... Salt baths probably aren't the best option unless there is fungus. Fungus tends to look like fluffy cotton ball type stuff. Salt in wounds... ouch... Just keeping him in clean, dechlorinated, cool water should help. Maybe a tea bath would help? Keeping him in the fridge would just slow down his metabolism and probably prolong the healing process. Best of luck with him :)

E

Elise

The wounds have an appearance that would suggest they were from a plecostomus injuring your axolotl. It is strongly suggested that axoltols be kept singular in their environment as larger species can injure your axolotl, often with predaceous behavior.

You will need your axoltol to fully recover from his injuries before re-homing as ill specimens are significantly less likely to survive transport, unless you were able to find someone who was experienced and local. I don't see any fungus apparent and if there were, salt baths would likely be an irritant to an injury like this. Methylene blue would be a suitable alternative treatment, if there were a fungal infection.

Below are a few articles that provide some good information on husbandry and cooling methods.

Guide to Axolotl Husbandry

Caudata Culture Articles - Cooling

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/f57-axolotl-general-discussion/96018-fungus.html

jackieb

Reaction score
Thank you so so much for the information!! I really appreciate the support.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1